Sunday, November 21, 2010

NaBloPoMo Day 21: Orzo Salad

You know summer's coming when friends start dusting off their BBQs and inviting people over.  It's kind of a mystery as to what will be lurking under the BBQ cover when winter finally disappears and the days start to get longer. We haven't had our first barbie yet, but I think Tony is planning to attack the BBQ tomorrow and see what awaits him!!

We went to a friend's place last night and as in the Kiwi tradition, we were asked to take a salad or a dessert. I almost went the lazy way and piled up a plate of strawberries with chocolate dipping sauce, but thought probably half the others going will have the same idea, I'm sure!! Delicious but there is only so many strawberries a gal can eat.  So I decided to go with an old faithful dish that always gets rave reviews and I always get a heap of requests for the recipe.  Orzo Salad is a bit like the frittata, where anything goes and it changes every time I make it. 





Orzo Salad
1 cup of dried orzo pasta
½ cup finely diced salami, finely diced
1 red capsicum (or yellow), finely diced
1 avocado, sliced or diced
big handful of cherry tomatoes. halved
spring onions, chopped finely
100g feta cheese, crumbled
½ cup toasted almonds 
handful of coriander or parsley, chopped finely

I also use vegetables such as asparagus, cucumber, zucchini, peas, grated carrot, red onion, broccoli etc. Just depends what is in season or in the garden. I don't always add the salami. I also might add pumpkin seeds, pinenuts or sunflower seeds instead of the almonds

Cook pasta until al dente. Mix some olive oil through it to stop it sticking together and when cool, add the remainder of the ingredients.

Dressing
1 garlic clove, crushed
¼ cup olive oil
2 tbsps lemon juice
1 tsp sugar
splash of sesame oil

Shake well and stir through salad.




2 comments:

  1. Mmm that sounds good. I need some new salads for the up-coming summer barbies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds yummy, Thanks.

    I know what you mean about under the BBQ cover.I can cope with all comers with 6 or 8 legs except the one starting with C. they get the boot or spray can - I guess they like the specks of left over oil and food. I detest them...we get some in our firewood.

    We have already had our BBQ out and dusted down but it always needs inspecting for new lurkers.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for taking the time to pop by and leave a comment. I always reply to my comments by email so if you don't hear from me, it means you are a no-reply blogger. Have a great day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...