Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Scrappy AMH pillow

Well, Christmas has been and gone, and it is nearly 2015! I haven't done much sewing this past month. It's been more of a get-in-the-garden kind of month and catching up with friends kind of month.  I managed to finish my Sew Sew Modern swap items, but I will save that for the next post.

 I also finished a pillow.  I bought Diane's Celestial Star pattern a while ago. I love this pattern. It gives you so many options and she includes some printouts as well for you to color and  to help you decide on a layout. There are so many variations that you can do with it.

I made this for a person in our online quilting community who, unfortunately, didn't receive her swap item for whatever reason.  She is always so kind and giving of her own time and stash that I really wanted to do something for her to show my appreciation for everything she does. Plus, I have nearly been the non-recipient on a couple of occasions and its horrible watching everyone get their swap packages and yours never comes. I was lucky enough to get both mine very, very late, but it does leave a sour taste.

So I know she likes Anna Maria Horner and scrappy so out came my AMH stash (and I must admit I love her new Honor Roll range). I started piecing.







I quilted it with straight lines coming out from the centre of the star so it looks like the star is radiating.  I used Mimosa for the binding which matched the tealy-turquoise in Honor Roll perfectly.




For the back I used Hand Drawn Garden as it incorporated most of the colors from the front. I only had a FQ and it wasn't quite big enough so I added a border in colours to match.










I love how this has turned out and want to make one for myself now.


5 comments:

  1. Your recipient is very lucky, you have done a fabulous job on this Deb. LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful cushion - I love the back too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice of you to do this. Its lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After you make one for yourself can you please make one for me? It's SO pretty, I'm a sucker for a scrappy low volume background so this is my dream come true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you do make one for yourself - it's just lovely! I like how you had to improvise and piece the back. Good thing the FQ didn't quite cover it because it worked out so nicely this way. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for taking the time to pop by and leave a comment. I always reply to my comments by email so if you don't hear from me, it means you are a no-reply blogger. Have a great day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...