Monday, February 24, 2014

Social tote completed

I joined the Sewing Room swap on flickr for the first time this month.  I thought it would be something a little different to the bees I generally do and I still get the fun and excitement of making something for someone and getting  squishy parcel in return.

I decided to make a Social Tote for my partner as I thought it might be something she would like.  It is a pattern by Anna from Noodlehead in collaboration with Carolyn Friedlander.  It's a cute little tote and perfect for carrying around a little hand project. This is also my February goal for A Lovely Year of Finishes.

My first attempt was a disaster. One of the materials listed was wrong and I didn't know that there was an errata on Carolyn's website. It stated to use fusible woven interfacing and in brackets was Pellon 71F.   However, on the website she actually states that Pellon Shapeflex 101F is the correct material. They are completely different products.  I had used a lovely Suzuko Koseki print for the first one and once I got to the final assembly stage, I realised that things were not as they should be. The 71F is a very firm interfacing and totally not right for this tote.  So the Suzuko tote went in the trash and I started again.

It also is not a very easy to understand pattern. I am an experienced sewer, but found this pattern quite challenging. I had to read and re-read several times.  You could not afford to miss any part of the process.  The second attempt was much easier and I put it together very quickly.

For the lining I used a cute little Yuwa fabric that I got from Sew Me A Song a while ago.  My partner likes Japanese fabrics so I'm hoping she will like this.




The exterior of the bag is also a Yuwa fabric...one by Suzuko Koseki.  I really like this print and the colours in it.  I used an Anna Maria Horner print from Dowry for the handles and the pocket




And putting it all together...These Clover clips have to be one of the best notions I have ever bought. I use them for so many things. They were perfect for holding the lining to the exterior.




And the finished product...





Camera Roll-1051 
The props in the tote are mine  :)


And on more exciting news I am going to New York in September. A couple of friends that I met at Sewing Summit last year asked me to go, so I am going for 10 days on my own then will meet my hubby in Hawaii for a week, before I fly home.  I am so excited!!! I am all booked, so roll on September.


Linking up with

4 comments:

  1. Lovely tote - you have a very lucky partner. Pity the first one didn't work out. How exciting going to NEW YORK and then to Hawaii. Gives you lots of time to save and plan I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the tote and great fabric choices. Oh, where in NY will you be?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous tote Deb and what an awesome trip to look forward too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful tote - your partner will love it. The fabrics are great too. Congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for taking the time to pop by and leave a comment. I always reply to my comments by email so if you don't hear from me, it means you are a no-reply blogger. Have a great day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...